Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables

My little brother Tariq brought the "fruit" up on Sunday. He kind of jogged my memory about it. I mentioned , the fruit of the Spirit yesterday in reference to Stephanie. Thinking about it reminded me that trying to live out the fruit is probably a pretty good way to live. It could be thought of as a code even.

"Not many people got a code to live by anymore."

Sorry, I just had to. Anyway, I want to try to apply the Fruits of the Spirit to my life. I think it could be good. It might make me a better husband, employee, drummer, whatever. While in Georgia last week, Stanette mentioned that there were many qualities about Stephanie that she liked. I think these qualities may result from living out the Fruits of the Spirit every day.

But first off, I have to call them the "Fruits of the Spirit." There are nine (plural) of them, maybe they should all be one-a unit even, but naw, it sounds better.

So, what are the Fruits of the Spirit?

The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. (Galatians 5:19-23, New International Version)

That is really only verses 22 and 23, but check out 19-21. It's pretty clear about what is not "fruitful" behavior. Hey man, you gotta be cooler than that. I am going to try to go through the fruits one at a time, think about how I currently live each fruit, and how I might live them a little better. Maybe I'll just talk about songs or old sitcoms that make me think about the fruits. I might even get kooky and mystical, talking about nine-pointed stars and the like, who knows.

Here they are again: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.

One more picture for you; check out "joy," what is that a fried egg white? What about kindness? Haacha. Faithfulness looks like a pair of wax lips.

Feel well.

No comments:

Post a Comment