Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Why is the Why?

Drumming at the Croatan last night took a bit of a turn. I am not sure why, but I like it. Major personality flaw-I always wonder about the "why." That is probably the most minor of my major personality flaws; most recently labeled at least.

But the change, class was set up to teach a new rhythm every eight weeks, leading to teaching a repertoire of rhythms. That seems to have melded into a more progressive approach, where we nail down, tighten up rhythms and breaks we already know, while adding new material as we go along. Last night's class was really good. I dig the change.

I am starting to hear the djembe a little better. I am starting to pick up on where the various parts lock in, what responds where.

I am going to this guy's (below) class tonight at Freedom Theatre; I am going with Meko from church. He also takes the djembe class from Jay, but has been taking classes from Menes Yahudah for a time. Meko said there is a lot of focus on technique and also some stuff dealing with the spiritual nature of drumming. Weeee. We will have to see what's too much.

This photo and biography are from the Farafina Kan website. I hope he smiles like that in class.

Menes Yahudah
POB: Baltimore, MD
DOB: 6/26/76
Role: Tech & rehearsal director & lead Djembe soloist

Menes has been drumming since the age of 2 and has always been interested and committed to drumming. Menes is a former lead soloist for Baltimore’s Sankofa Dance Theatre and is currently the Director of Urban Foli and an instructor with Tam Tam Mandingue, USA in Baltimore. Menes has performed nationally and internationally in Africa, Asia and the Caribbean. He has spent the greater part of his adult life learning Djembe music and is fluent in other musical languages as well. He currently teaches drum classes in Baltimore, Philadelphia and continues to travel nationally and internationally performing and studying traditional arts.

I know you are all interested in this stuff, or I wouldn't bother writing about it! I jest! I will report on the class soon. I need to make up a song for this dununba part for Kuku that I am trying to learn. I know the parts, I just can't play them right.

Beat your face private!

No comments:

Post a Comment