Monday, May 4, 2009

Ashe

ashe /a shay'/ 1. in Yoruba, "the power to make things happen"
2. an expression of affirmation; the belief that power is within you From the African Rhythms website, check it out here.

Part of doing this is trying to figure it out, to figure out what I want this blog to be. I originally thought of doing it to force me to take more pictures, to document my life more. I also envision using it to document my garden and share what I learn and know and hopefully inspire others to start growing some of their own food.



I also want to use it as motivation to research and learn more about West African culture and to share what I learn. My interest in West African culture was sparked when I began taking djembe classes in November of 2008.



The djembe is a goblet-shaped drum from West Africa. In Africa it is played primarily as an accompaniment to dancing. Dancing, therefore drumming is very prevalent in West African culture. There are dances to celebrate baptisms, circumcision and other coming of age rituals, marriages, birth, death, baby naming, fishing, planting, harvesting and many other daily occurrences. I anticipate that most off what I write or research about West African culture will start with the djembe and other aspects of African drumming and dance.



I am no ethnographer or musicologist, nor am I trying to be one. I just want to share some really neat and important stuff that is being shared to with me. I will try to consistently cite sources if I take something I learn from books or articles. I will also try to cite my sources when I learn something shared with me orally.

Be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment