Wednesday, May 13, 2009

How to Play Kuku # 3 of 3 (Djembe 2)

This is the third of three videos showing how to play Kuku, the rhythm we are learning in my West African Drum Class. In this video, Jan Sebon is demonstrating how to play "djembe 2" for the rhythm Kuku.

It goes: tone, tone, slap, tone, tone, slap, tone, tone, slap, tone, tone, slap or
go, do, ta, go, do, pa, go, do, ta, go, do, pa

Very important: notice where the "ghost notes" are (or where there is a pause between hits).

tonetone-slaptonetone-slap-tonetone-slaptonetone-slap, or
godo-tagodopa-godo-tagodopa

Notice in the video that Jan plays a double stroke with the left hand going from tone to slap. I play it this way as well. I am not sure why. I think because it is the way I learned on a play-along cd from Cameron Tummell. Jay doubles up on his right hand from the tone to slap, and I guess also from the slap to the tone. Is that a double double-up? I believe he only plays the second tones with his left. It takes different strokes to rule the world.

bon courage!

No comments:

Post a Comment