Tuesday, May 5, 2009

One Day the Real Rain Will Come

Check it out, our latest addition to the garden. It is a rain barrel that I received free (with help from my friend Art) from the City of Philadelphia. Art also attends Circle of Hope (Circle). I emailed the "Dialog" (Circle's email server) asking if anyone had a line on a 55 gallon container to build a rain barrel, and he emailed back offering me one from the city if I attended the rain barrel workshop with him. He made three of them for his community garden and has helped a couple of other people make their own rain barrels. What a guy! Thanks Art!

I wanted to link you to the City of Philadelphia's website to check out Philadelphia Water Department's Rain Barrel Initiative, but the page is not coming up. I will keep an eye on the page and if it becomes functional, I will add the link.

In the meanwhile, here is a link to a page that will show you how to make one. The one I have is a Spruce Creek Rain Saver. You can check out all of its high-speed features and three lovely colors. If you cannot get one free from the city, try making one.

I have not watered the garden yet, as it has been raining a lot. Although, I did do two loads of laundry last night with rainwater! What's next?

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment