Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Seasons of Wither

The Kariyan (Kassa Kassa) is generally used to accompany the West African stringed instrument known as the Ngoni. The Kassa Kassa adds to the music as a timekeeper, and it is played by dragging the striker across the ribbed section of the cylinder. It's great for accompanying any stringed instrument, ensemble or drumming event.

Man, this is some sweet action. These are really cool instruments. I guess they are classified as bells, but they are more like a metal guiro (if you are familiar with Latin-American Music). The songs that I am familiar with that this instrument is played in, remind me of some old, crusty Delta blues.

Craig Henderson and I used to describe the sound these kind of ribbed, rubbed instruments as "schwekee, schwekee, schwekee." I wonder what classic rock song we always heard that in. I am thinking some Aerosmith song-none of that dude looks like a lady crap; I'm talkin' "Aerosmith," "Get Your Wings," or "Toys..."

"In the attic lies
voices scream
nothings seen
reals a dream"

If you are not grooving on my onomatopoeia, then call me up or come on by. It is meant to be heard, not read.

Remember well!

1 comment: