Wednesday, May 6, 2009

This is the Drum

Here is a picture of my djembe. It is sweet. Last month I went to Wula Drums in Brooklyn and spent about two hours there, playing different drums and talking to their drum tech Galen. This is the drum I bought. They wrapped it up real nice for me and I and brought it back on the grey dog.

I have been taking West African drumming classes since November. It has changed my life; Sarah says "it's one of your top five life changers." Life Changers. But ya, I take classes with Jay Beck at the Croatan Studio located at Circle of Hope. It has been very interesting. We are not only learning to play djembe rhythms, but we are also learning about West African culture.

Playing the djembe has been challenging and very relaxing. I have never found anything that I could completely lose myself in. Gee, and I have tried. It's good. I can just go bass-tonetone--slap bass-tonetone--slap bass-tonetone--slap bass-tonetone--slap and I don't have to think of anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment