Friday, May 15, 2009

Ten Thousand Things

"Ten Thousand Things" is a Buddhist expression representing the dynamic interconnection and simultaneous unity and diversity of everything in the universe.*


Here is a photograph of a claw-footed tub we have in the backyard. We have planted food in it since we moved to Firth Street in 2005. This year I tried something a little different in the tub. Debuting in the tub this season is something I read about called "polycultural" gardening. Sarah and I broadcasted several different kinds of seeds and covered them with soil. As you can see, it is doing rather well. The idea is to allow the plants to create "natural" relationships with each other. The thick planting also acts as mulch, helping the soil retain water, as well as keep weeds at bay. There are carrots, radishes, lettuce, spinach, Chinese mustard and some other stuff I probably cannot recall.

This method is a bit different from the order and structure that I usually try to appear to maintain. So far, I like it.

* From Kyoto Journal

No comments:

Post a Comment